Why work in Technology at the Met Office
It’s a hugely exciting time to work in Technology here at the Met Office. Our new supercomputer can do more than 1000 trillion calculations per second and has enough power to take in hundreds of thousands of global weather forecasts and run atmospheric models containing more than a million lines of code. We’re also working with high profile organisations like Google, NASA, IBM, Cisco and VMware to optimise our game-changing capabilities and develop even more innovative ways to meet the diverse needs of our customers and protect people across the world.
Our complex, wide-ranging infrastructure is crucial to our success as an organisation. In this important role within the Platforms team, you’ll work primarily on our Linux technology to build, support and manage platforms that enable the creation of new cutting-edge products. The operating systems and core software application here run across a large, diverse and challenging estate, including all desktops and a number of operational business server systems. As such, your role will be varied and impactful. You’ll manage, develop and enhance platforms to ensure that they’re working to optimum level throughout their operational lifecycle. We’d also like you to provide advice and recommendations to inform colleagues, develop junior team members and support Technical Leads. This is an exciting opportunity to work with world-leading technology in a culture of innovation; somewhere you’ll be encouraged to grow, learn about emerging technology and shape improvements to our infrastructure.
In order to be considered for this role, you’ll need to have the following essential criteria:
- Degree in Computing, Mathematics or other numerate subject or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience of managing/administering RHEL-based Linux systems, applications and infrastructure in a corporate support and development environment.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of underpinning infrastructure technologies such as authentication, email, storage, DNS.
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for working in IT and an ability to solve abstract IT problems and provide efficient and effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Show evidence of an organised and structured approach to work.
- A proven ability to communicate easily, enthusiastically and professionally with a range of customers.
- Good team-working skills and when appropriate the ability to work to your own initiative.
If you possess any of the following desirable criteria, that’s even better:
- Knowledge of any of the following: RHN, Puppet, Centrify, Citrix XenApp, experience of deploying and managing virtual machines.
- Experience of Windows system administration.
- Have knowledge of information systems related standards such as ITIL.
What we’ll do for you
We will invest in your development to help you grow with the Met Office. On top of your salary and the breadth of technology and facilities you’ll work with, we also provide a competitive Civil Service Pension, 27.5 days’ holiday allowance, excellent training at our Met Office College, opportunities for flexible working, performance-related pay schemes and much more. And based in our award-winning Exeter headquarters, you will have world-class facilities all around you.